Thursday, November 6, 2014

November 3rd- Novemeber 7th

November 3rd- November 7th

This week was another successful week here at Shaw Heights. This week the students went over "Let me introduce myself," from the curriculum as well as discussed what a mentor is , and what a mentor isn't.  We also went over their "job description. After we went over their job description I asked them to write the first word that pops into their head when they hear the word, "mentor.'
I loved hearing the word the students associated with "mentor." Along with getting into the curriculum, we did a team building exercise where the mentors had to figure a out a way to get the knots out of this string without taking their hands off and without getting out of line. This was a fun activity and the mentors did a great job of working together.


This week we also tackled an issue that I have noticed among the students here at Shaw Heights and it is dealing with racist jokes/ names, and being judgmental. As leaders and mentors this is not language or behavior I want to hear or see from them. We did a little activity called, "The Face Game." This is an activity that brings attention to stereotypes and our own judgements . Each student was given a face from a magazine and the student had to write the profile of this person. They had to write their name, age, occupation, educational background, family life/ home life, socioeconomic status and religion. After students answered these questions and the students presented their face we discussed why and how the students came up with their answers.  We did it a second time and the profile of the face changed because the students did not want to be judgmental or "micro-agressive." Since this activity students have really tried to filter their language and jokes, as well as tried to be less judgmental. I have B lunch duty and the mentors behavior and language was 100 times better. I even overheard one of my mentors ask his friend to not use certain words.
The mentors here at Shaw Heights are already making changes among their peers and in the halls. I am very proud of the group of kids that are in the program.

MENTEE RECRUITMENT

I have met with 20 students that have been recommended for the program and 11 of them have already turned in their parent approval forms. I asked teachers to recommend students who would benefit form the program and from having a mentor, and from the list I have met with the students individually. On Monday I will be visiting the 6th grade homerooms to talk about the program.

No comments:

Post a Comment