Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Saying Goodbye

Two mentors and their mentees share a goodbye group hug.
Well, it is hard to believe that school has ended for the year and our 8th grade mentors and mentees are now on their way to high school. It was a week filled with tearful goodbyes and heartfelt moments, and I am so very proud to have had the honor to educated these wonderful young people over the course of the past year. We spent our last week together packing up our room, presenting the amazing love cup projects, and attending some awesome events at Shaw Heights.

Hanging outside during 4th hour on the last day of school!
I am so grateful that our wonderful scholars helped me pack and move many of our classroom resources since I am still a bit sidelined with my broken foot. They were very diligent and organized as we worked to pack things up. We saved most of the art projects from the course of the year to put up a cool display for incoming students in the fall, and were able to secure some great new games from Mr. Diemand (Good luck in retirement! We will miss you!). Ms. Villavla also gave us some great new stuffed animals, cups, and other classroom supplies, for which we are always grateful.

Several of our mentors and mentees participated in the choir concert last Wednesday and in the talent show, which was last Thursday. It was great to see our scholars shining on stage, and I am proud of their bravery to stand before the school and to sing and dance. We also had several participants in the end of year volleyball game. Stacey, Advino, Jennifer, Hailey, and Andrea were on the team that advanced to the finals to play the teachers. Though they did not win, they did a great job working as a team and had some really strong moments.

All in all, it was a hard week, but one that fills me with pride as I reflect on all the great things we have done over the course of the past year. I sure will miss our YESS scholars over the next two months, but I look forward to meeting a new set of mentees in August. Have a great summer and take care!


One last group photo with 3rd hour.





Advino and I on the last day of school.

2 comments: